On May 21, 2009, at GOVIS, I delivered a presentation called ‘Same time, different channel’.
Web 2.0 is not a big deal. It is not a scary freaky place. It is you doing what you’ve always done (or at least should be doing), just through an extra medium. New technologies may assist government/public participation, but most of the old rules still apply. Don’t be afraid.
Key learning points:
1. People are using new technologies to communicate in the exact same ways that they always have communicated.
2. Therefore, you have nothing to fear from using new technologies to get your message out.
3. But there are a few things you should consider.
You can view it on the GOVIS website, or check out my slides embedded beneath. I have to say it was a career highlight for me, because it was the culmination of 18 months work at the SSC, and it was very well received – the magic of Twitter allowed me to see feedback straight away, including:
- Mike Riversdale: Yesterday’s #govis09 highlight seems to have been @JoannaTMcLeod and today @MattLane is also @webstock worthy. SSC, you losing BOTH these people???
- nzlemming@joannatmcleod Best preso of conf so far. Good content, well presented. Thanks #govis09
- auchmill@joannatmcleod hammering home the basics: don´t lose the plot just cos it´s ¨social media¨ #govis09
- gnat@nzkoz No f-bombs from @johubris. She’s REALLY good and appropriate to audience. 10/10. Authoritative, accessible and friendly. #govis09 about 8 hours ago from Tweetie in reply to nzkoz
- trib@johubris doing a tops job on real use of socmed. Gratz! #govis09about 8 hours ago from Tweetie
- sigurdmagnussonEnjoying govis09 @joannatmcleod talk.Thx for reiterating to crowd that facebook, twitter are just new ways to exhibit age-old human behaviorabout 8 hours ago from Twitterrific
- nzrumi Joanna McLeod presso on Social Media was great. #govis09 about 8 hours ago from Tweetie
- Cle0patra#govis09 @joannatmcleod doing great and relevant preso on social mediaabout 8 hours ago from Twitterrific