Writer, SilverStripe Ltd
As SilverStripe’s writer, I had responsibility for any written words coming out of the business. Key tasks included:
- Creating & maintaining content for SilverStripe.com and SilverStripe.org
- Liaising with the open source community around SilverStripe CMS
- Managing the organisation’s social media channels
- Event planning
- Writing sales collateral such as newsletters, case studies and brochures
- Style guide and brand management.
My business So Content helped businesses audit and create website content, and provided advice on use of social media. Clients included:
- NZ Customs
- Wellington City Council
- Department of Conservation
- Craft 2.0.
Advisor, Strategy & Innovation, ICT – State Services Commission
(September 2007-July 2009)
My role was to contribute to the development and implementation of tools, and especially Web 2.0 tools, to assist in the achievement of the E-government milestones.
- Project management, research, writing and promotion of An Introduction to Government Use of SMS
- Project management and editing of the SSC Blog In Development
- Community management around online participation
- Web 2.0 “expert” advice and avocation as necessary
- Support for other S&I initiatives.
Web Advisor – SPARC
(August-September 2007) Temporary
- Day to day updates for the website
- Testing on system upgrades
- Planning for a new CMS.
Web Coordinator – NZAID
(October 2006 – June 2007) Contract
- Working with programme managers to keep website content up to date, relevant to target audiences and written in a consistent style
- Consultation with staff over future intranet design
- Content development and maintenance of external website and intranet
- Writing feature articles for the website
- Sending out monthly electronic newsletter
- Assisting on all other Communications team projects.
Editorial Developer – CWA New Media
(March 2005 – October 2006)
- Online editor for the Education Gazette
- Writing a fortnightly column on educational web resources
- Uploading magazine content using a CMS
- Assisting 20,000 subscribers to the vacancy alert service
- Relationship maintenance with print partner APN.
- Project-managing the company’s intranet and website
- Writing publicity material
- Creating a company-wide style guide and other resources for proposal writing
- Managing development time.
- Helpdesk for Activenz.net
- Frontline point of contact
- Communicating to users how they can use the community to build group knowledge.
- Other projects
- Proofreading, subediting and content creation
- Social club.
Freelance Writer – Pulp Magazine
Advertising Manager – Victoria University Wellington Students’ Association
(January 2004-March 2005)
- Receive advertisement bookings, organise contracts and artwork for ads in Salient, The Alternative Calendar, The Handbook Diary and The Wall Planner
- Maintain client relationships
- Build new clientele base.
Communications Assistant – Auckland Students’ Movement @ AUT (AuSM)
(Maternity contract: January- September 2003)
- Acting editor role
- Feature writing for Debate magazine
- Event support
- Journalism students’ liaison
- Advertisement booking and placement
- Content production for Debate magazine
- Website maintenance and development
- Client and stakeholder relationship building.
Communications Administrator – The Faculty of Medical and Health Sciences, The University of Auckland
- Promotional activities such as running Courses & Careers Day
- Writing news stories and student profiles for the handbook
- Updating the Faculty’s website
- Maintaining the media mentions database.
Computer-based training designer – Foodstuffs (Auckland) Ltd.
- Researching safety issues in supermarkets
- Designing and producing cd-roms for safety training.
Communications Assistant – North Shore City Council
- Organising and running an educational community road show
- Being the public face for the council’s community consultation process
- Identifying key target groups and planning public meetings.
2002: Auckland University of Technology: Graduate Diploma in Public Relations
Papers of Interest: Communication Strategy, Corporate Communication, Human Resources Communication, Intergrated Marketing Communication, Persuasive Communication, Public Relations Planning
1998-2000: AUT – Bachelor of Communication Studies with a major in Multimedia
Papers of Interest: Public Relations, Journalism, Principles of Writing, Human Communication. Intercultural Communication, Mass Communication I II III, Multimedia Broadcasting, Graphics & Design, Multimedia Production/Project, Instructional Design
1995 – 1997: Onslow College, Wellington